Saturday, June 9, 2012

Mom, Please Feed My Apps!

Mobile-game critters need money from their young keepers, and parents are paying. Are the marketers of expensive e-trinkets too eager to take advantage of child consumers?

11 comments:

  1. Wow, $99.99! I think I would be much more willing to spend the money on an XBOX game than on a mobile app. However I do not have children so I have never been worn down with the constant whining or crying so I can't say for sure.

    Very funny story I heard from a friend this week. As she spent time with her niece over the weekend, her niece asked to use her iphone. My friend handed it over (to the 6 year old) and upon returning she discovered all her apps had been organized into folders and new games had been added to her collection. Her niece was quick to reassure her though, "don't worry Aunt T, I only downloaded the ones the said F R E E". 6 years old!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting article Rocio! I think it is very interesting and funny that they have "free" apps but have many items available to purchase inside the app. It's very tricky and sneaky but very smart at the same time. Some of the items offered are expensive, as Faith mentioned, but anything to keep children entertained so the parents don't have to is worth the money, right? I feel like some parents use the iPad, iPhone, or other entertainment devices as babysitters instead of intellectually stimulating their children.

    We were discussing the new facebook drama that children can have accounts now and I thought it was interesting that Apple maintains that iTunes users must be at least 13 years old to have an account. But like facebook, I wonder how many people are fudging their age to get their kids iTunes accounts?? Just a thought!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is an interesting article indeed! I was also shocked by that one game charging $99.99 for 1,000 coins! That's crazy.

    I guess the game industry is loving this new mobile tablet trend with kids playing games on it. Some parents might like it too up to a point when they feel their kids are whining too much to buy items within games.

    I have a funny related story too: My little niece, when she was about 10 years old, "borrowed" my iphone to play games and when she gave it back, she told me she had reorganized my apps into folders and showed me what she had done. I didn't even know that you could have folders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know that! Who is teaching these kids all this iphone stuff!?! =D

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great business model. So much for downloading cheats on the internet. One thing that I found interesting is that instead of dropping the kids in front of the TV to entertain them, parents are now handing over their iPhones or iPads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is so interesting as well! What happened to the days of not being able to get your kids inside from playing outside? I don't have children but I remember when I was little I never wanted to come inside from playing. Now you can't get children outside to play for even one minute. It's amazing how much technology has changed every aspect of life!

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is amazing how technology has changed our lives. Sometimes for the worse though -- it's sad that kids would rather sit inside on a sunny beautiful day instead of play outside. I guess a healthy balance can be found somehow.

      Delete
  5. I've heard several similar stories about children knowing much more than their parents when it comes to technology. It's crazy how quickly young children learn new technology. I agree though that it is an issue that these kids would rather sit inside than play outside. Parents need to focus on both I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I have become a victim of this ploy so many times. My youngest daughter loves this app where you own this pet salon and my oldest loves any sports game she can download on her ipod. For my oldest, it is such an obsession that she now asks for her allowance to be directly applied to my iTunes account! I try to keep gift cards that she receives loaded so it does not affect my bank account when I enter the password for her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Daily Show interviewed the ceo of one of these game companies last December: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-december-8-2011/video-game-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice video link Kurt! What a great scam, no packaging, no shipping constant opps to make money. Now thats a great product

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.