Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"We Love it Here!"

I promised to share this link in class on Tuesday.  This is my company's attempt to reach the younger generation and intertest them in working for Schneider!!

Way too funny Video

-Pam Burr

15 comments:

  1. So that is suppossed to entice me to want to work there? It is comical but not sure how professional that really is. Maybe it will work though as it does make you think that your company does have a lighter side. I can't imagine my company doing something like this, only because I think the people in my company would scare people away more than bring them in. With that said, I do work with great fun people, I just think it is hard to do something like this and get across what you want to say without making yourself look silly. I do applaud them for the attempt though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheesy and funny, not sure it will go viral and get folks interested. However I do think it is nice that the company is able to embrace the humor and have a good time. When are you making a video??

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched 4. They range from bad to terrible. They are not professional by any measure.

    The first with, with Lauren Levy, might have been mildly funny if it were impromptu but that it was scripted –reveled by her stammers in delivering lines, changes it into something else. I know I'm far from being a recent college grad but I'd be surprised if any of them would find this funny. I would guess it's insulting. But the key for the prospective employee would be that if they had choices: if Schneider where the only thing on the table, they would ignore the video, if they had choices, I would think all things equal, a video like that would tip the balance against Schneider. Here's what I see: Lauren is arrogant (because she thinks the scripted humor is attractive, the content helpful and the delivery engaging), she's not a perfectionist, and Schneider can't afford a decent microphone or mount for the video camera.

    #2 Melissa looks like a hostage. The b-roll is awful. Since we know Melissa is not an actor, don't have her pretend to be one by smiling and pointing at things, it just re-enforces the hostage impression. Look at the background of the b-roll too: it looks like a temporary office they just began renting and could quickly vacate it...just like what you'd expect from kidnappers.

    #3 with Hanan Darwish is the best video but that really just means that the others are worse.

    #4: with Carola Puusteli, starts off looking great but then after about a minute in, it takes a cringe-inducing turn when Carola begins talking about diversity. Her pauses and micro-expressions in her delivery when saying "so, if you're a female or if you’re a man, or if you're whatever nationality or if you're a good employee, if you have good ideas, you have a good opportunity." gives me the impression that diversity is a problem at Schneider. By avoiding the commonly used descriptions people use to describe people then clumsily changing the subject to describe job performance, the impression I get is diversity is really not discussed and if there should be a conflict resulting from a diversity issue, Schneider will avoid it rather than confront it.

    I know this might seem as if I'm exaggerating and reading way too much into these videos but I promise you that your viewers are picking up on these cues even if they are not overtly expressed, they are at least subconsciously recording them.

    If any of these videos go viral it will be for the wrong reasons. It is my strong recommendation to delete these videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you completely but I have no authority here. Lets just say that if they ever asked me to shoot one of these videos my schedule would be totally booked for the foreseeable future just to avoid it!!

      -Pam Burr

      Delete
  5. So Pam, where is your video? I like the concept, but the videos could use a little more polish. Check out some of the videos posted about Starbucks Jobs. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4DD39D3B9D8389D3&feature=plcp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha!! see my comment to Kurt! There is not nor will there ever be a video!!

      -Pam Burr

      Delete
  6. Corny!! You have no choice but to life at these people! I agree it is comical but I don't think it would increase my interest in Schneider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if we took Schneider out of the equation if a company really wants to attract you then they need to offer competitive compensation and benefits. I will say that Schneider has a great benefit package so why they are wasting time with these silly videos is beyond me.

      -Pam

      Delete
  7. I like the idea in theory. But if your employer asks you to do a video of why you love to work there, is it really your choice? *smile*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly; however, 2 of the 4 videos I saw were of the what looked like officers in the company. But, the second video shoots someone who probably wanted to be doing anything else.

      Delete
  8. It is an good idea. It may help those who are interested in working for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You liked them?


      unrelated: do you sell pot?

      Delete
    2. In all fairness for those right out of college it may be catchy enough to work to smome degree. While I would say that there are the best idea up it is an effort towards getting the attention of the younger generation.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.