Friday, June 8, 2012

Itunes App Store on Facebook?

Facebook has crossed into the dark side to follow Apple's iTunes app store.  The "Facebook App Center", discussed in this article, is offering a "send to mobile" type app store.  The center will offer apps for iOs, android, and other operating systems.  You can retrieve apps for free or for a fee depending on the app.  The great thing for the new Facebook App Center is that it only has 600 apps currently offered in it's store.  The apps will gain a lot more attention this way.

Do you think the Facebook App Center will take off and be anywhere near as successful as iTunes?

5 comments:

  1. Jennifer, interesting article. It seems that all the big players are trying to get into the "app buzz" right now.

    From the perspective as a marketer for an app, the Facebook app stores represents a powerful channel to get infront of some 845 million consumers.

    From the perspective of a Facebook user, I don't like the process that they described in the article of Facebook sending my personal details including my friend list to the software company as a step in the purchasing process. I think that there must be a way to share less information and still make the purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hear hear! I will not be downloading apps through facebook. Sometimes I fee the internet is the wild wild west and everything goes with little regulations or rights to privacy. It kind of creeps me out.

      -Pam Burr

      Delete
  2. Marissa I agree completely! Like Aaron has mentioned in class a few times, it seems like more and more of our information is slipping away with the many mobile apps that are out there for our enjoyment. You would think there would be a way to get the app without sharing a bunch of info! I remember when Facebook first started and I would use the "my calendar" or whatever that app was but you always had to share with about 10 people to get the app. I think its ridiculous but at the same time I understand the purpose. They are trying to get more people to engage in the app and lately it seems that the best source of information is through word of mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article is interesting but I agree with both of you, I'm not a big fan of your personal information being sent out for yet another reason. Honestly, having to select the app, have it sent to my phone, then download/purchase seems like more effort than it's worth. I can't imagine any app I would find on this new App Center that I would deem worthy of all of that. Maybe there are enough people spending time on FB and playing with apps that this will work but I'm afraid I will not be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a big fans of apps personally, but there is no way I would purchase an app through facebook. It seems that not only will all of our information be sent, but I have to go through extra steps to get an app.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.