Friday, June 8, 2012

2012 Social Media Statistics!!!

We all know social media is very influencial.  This article discusses the 10 new social media stats for 2012.  As I'm sure we could all guess, Facebook was voted/researched to be the most addicting socia media portal. 
  1. Do you think facebook will stay the most addicting social media portal with twitter, four square, pinterest, and linked in close behind?
  2. The number of mobile users is ever increasing.  Do you think accessing social media on a laptop or desktop computer will become obsolete?

4 comments:

  1. It is hard to say now. In short term, FB will still take the lead. But you never know who will invent something better than FB in the future. It seems the newcomers likely will replace the older ones in social media. A example is what happened to Myspace.
    I think the laptop will still be used for certain tasks. It depends on where you at. If you wait on the line to check out, then mobile phone is much handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Facebook will eventually fizzle out or just get taken over by the newest thing. I rarely use social media on my laptop unless my facebook is messed up on my phone (which it seems to be very often, both online and the app). I just think social media seems to be more focused on when you are doing something different than sitting at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) "addicting"? I do not agree that those sites are popular only because they are addicting. I think for many it, like marketers, is just going to where people are and, they view using those sites as necessary tools. There are also people like me that still have an FB account but haven't quite decided to keep it but for now, having it doesn't seem to hurt. I do believe those sites will remain the most popular for what they offer through at least 2013.

    I do think there is opportunity to for companies, like maybe even Pintrest, to poach FB's users. Foursquare needs to sell itself to brick and mortars. I also understand Twitter is more helpful for famous people and for people using management software. I think its native desktop browser interface it pretty bad mainly because reading re-tweets and one-sided responds to conversations makes reading feeds unnecessarily challenging. Further consider Dr. Mishra's post at the beginning of the term about people's impressions of tweets: it said that about a third of tweet were considered useless or annoying; another third were valueless but not annoying, and only about a third were helpful....with those types of stats, can Twitter, without powerful filtering tools, be sustainable?

    2) Maybe we should consider changing how we talk about mobile vs. desktop/laptop? Maybe we should talk more about screen size and input methods. I will always have a need for a large high resolution screen -too many of my needs can't be met using a little screen. I also prefer a physical keyboard & mouse over the screen keyboards. But to your point: no. I don't think lap/desktop will go away, things will just evolve...people like using desks and establishing a work-only space. I think TV will increasingly be used and new technology like a un-foldable portable OLED screen that promise to change the mobile experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that for certain things I really prefer a lap/desktop computer. I was in a training class at work a few weeks ago and our instructor was talking about the evolution of the tablet and how we will most likely be using them for everything soon and will simply dock them at our desks, eliminating the need for desktop comupters. Who knows???

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.