Sunday, June 3, 2012

Mobile Gift Cards


We talked briefly about using our mobile phones as a digital wallet (as I do with my Starbucks app), but how do you feel about sending mobile gift cards to friends & family?

Is this the wave of the future? Is it easier than carrying many cards around in your wallet? Will retailers have a competitive advantage if they participate and their competitors do not?

10 comments:

  1. Interesting idea for marketers, especially if consumers spend much more than the value of the gift card.
    Not sure if I'd want to sign-up for it, then again, it'd eliminate the #1 problem I have when I get gift-cards - misplacing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually love this idea. I have the same problem where I will misplace my cards or I will have so many left over from holidays that I am unable to carry them all with me in my wallet. I just end up forgetting about them and then with time a lot of gift cards lose their value. I would totally like to receive mobile gift cards, but I would probably be selective on who I gave them to. For example it would be best for me to use the old fashion gift cards with my parents.

    -Pam Burr

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Marissa and Pam that all too often I misplace a gift card or even forget I have one. I don't really purchase gift cards as gifts so I'm not sure that doing it this way would change that but I receive tons of them around Christmas for my favorite clothing stores. I'm sure some people would enjoy the ease of purchasing/sending electronically but like Pam said, I'm not sure grandparents (and others who are not as comfortable with mobile technology) would make this switch?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a win for retailers but I am not sure it is a win for consumers. The article states that only 10% of cards are redeemed and that consumers also spend six to seven times the amount of the gift card. I like gift cards but rarely do I spend over the amount I am given.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT idea. I think that the ability to monitor online without keeping an actual card is a huge benefit. Only problem is that is just another thing I have to keep on my already overcrowded phone. I am realizing just how overwhelming the many different ways that I am being marketed to currently and how many different way I have to keep up with all of the benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would not like to receive a mobile gift card. First of all, I don't ever lose my gift cards and feel I would someone figure out how to delete it without meaning to. Though I see the benefit for many consumers, I personally just wouldn't like it. To me it is like when someone sends you an E-card for your birthday. I usually send them a "thanks for being lazy" thank you E-card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Tyler. The gift's value is diminshed! It is great for the retailer but not so sentimental as a gift. It screams "Oh, I forgot your birthday...let me send you a last minute gift"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am amazed that gift cards still exist. They normally have some sort of restrictions and or other costs associated with them. Plus they limit the user to only shopping at one location or store. Just give cash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments exactly. I hate gift cards. I understand people can have a hangup about cash because it's apparently perceived as a commodity but a gift card is so annoying: the giver wants to spend extra money to give a restricted store credit -unbelievable! (The worst one I got was for Pier One. $200! I hate going into any of their stores because I get a severe headache within five minutes from all that crazy incense. I also hate wicker.) But, now that I've had a few accounting classes I understand why gift cards need to have an expiration date!

      Delete
  9. @ Tyler - yes, I agree that it's not as personal as someone mailing you a present or card instead of emailing. I still like that I couldn't misplace the mobile gift card app though (well, if I can find it on my overcrowded iphone).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.