Friday, June 8, 2012

Should Facebook buy RIM (blackberry)

What do you think?  Desperate measures? 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/tech-news/why-facebook-would-be-smart-to-buy-rim/article4217923/

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing about a FB cell phone for 2-3 years now. Wow, I don't get it.

    Before Apple entered into cell phone hardware, it could have been argued as a mistake because it might not have been viewed as one of Apple's core competencies. Although to me it looked like they were really just marrying up an iPod to a mini computer so on the other-hand, the iPhone was the merger of two core competencies.

    If FB has developed a core competency in its 7 years of existence, it's that annoying website. I believe they really need to focus on it and begin hiring people to make something more of that site. Over the past seven years, it's just my feeling that people have generally found more of FB's UI "improvements" over time, more annoying than helpful.

    Another key difference between Apple and FB going into the cell hw market is: people really wanted --even begged-- Apple to enter it. Does anyone want FB in there too??? Why does FB think that getting hold of a hw manufacturer would possibly help people use mobile FB apps....especially from a company that notoriously ignored its customers' wants in over the past 3-4 years??

    I think Nokia's partnership with Microsoft is likely to fail so maybe FB should consider buying Nokia too?

    How about FB buying that Vizio TV company to come up with FB TV?...wouldn't people want FB in their living room too? How about Chrysler so people could commune with FB while on the road.

    But I'm going to stick with the core competency chestnut: FB should focus on software (server and mobile) and turn a profit in order to prove to the world it's a viable company that doesn't rely on any hw to access its social network.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think FB should invest in different industry. Social media changes so fast and it is very risky to put all your eggs in my basket. FB may fall one day just like MySpace. It is wise to spread the investment now since FB has the money and brand name is still strong. Google is a good example to expend their business in different industries to reduce the risk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Facebook should take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why?? If they control and distribute the software for the different phone platforms, how could owning the hardware improve people's access to their service?

      Right now, I am forced to have FB on my Android phone...it's a pre-installed un-installable app (and, wow, do those uninstallable apps piss people off!)

      If they are looking at farming even more data from users, they could still do that with their apps...provide an app to sync everything in your phone with FB.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I get a notification to update my twitter app on my droid that came with the phone every day. I've never used it and since I never updated it, I can't stop the notifications and can't take it off the phone. It is aggravating.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.