Thursday, June 7, 2012

Foursquare and Starbucks

Okay so this article directly relates to our group project but I thought some of you might be interested as well.
Basically, Starbucks has teamed up with Foursquare to increase their "socially-conscious brownie points" through "cause marketing". Every time you check-in at Starbucks on foursquare between June 1-10th, they will donate $1 to the Global Fund.
This article raises an interesting question...Do you think passive forms of charity detach us from moral responsibility?
Or do you think the ease of donating through something like foursquare will increase the number of participants?

9 comments:

  1. I am okay with passive donations to charity provided it is a charity I believe in. I would not be very happy with my money going to a charity that was unethical. For some folks at least this is a way for them to give back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is probably a much simpler way for certain people to contribute to a cause they deem worthy. It is so easy to do things on a phone these days, much easier than making a phone call or mailing a check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think passive forms of charity is also good for the society, it helps people in real need. Maybe like the lottery, do you think it is good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't/have never played the lottery and probably never will so I honestly don't know much about it. I saw a commercial the other day for the new black ticket (or whatever that is coming out) and sometimes I wonder how much money is really given to education??

      Delete
  4. I think by taking the extra effort out of it you make it so much easier! I think of all the times I donate to the pet rescue at Petsmart simply because it is one click at checkout. It is even nicer that you don't have to donate your own funds, a simple click can make a difference. I never would have thought though about the quality of the charity- that is a great point to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Faith, instead of being passive I look at it as more convienent. I would be more likely to donate to a charity where all I have to do is click a button than fill out forms and mail a check. Unfortunately, the world we live in today almost does not supply enough time for writing a check and sticking in the mail. Everything being online makes it easier to access what we want including donating to charity.

    I also think it helps donators moral compass because they have their coffee and have donated to a good cause. Who wouldn't do that and feel good about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I mean how often do you say you'll donate $1 or $5 at check out because they simply add it to your total and you don't have to think twice about it. Those are some of my favorite ways to give just a little bit back because they make it so easy!

      Delete
  6. Agree, I am much more likely to donate if I don't have to actually do anything in order to donate. I do try to donate as often as I can if it is a charity I believe in. I wonder if Starbucks gave you an option to choose from several charities, if people would be more or less likely to do it since it may take more time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is a way for starbucks to gauge the best way to influence their customers and the effectivness of their mobile ads.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.