http://bx.businessweek.com/personal-branding/view?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.noobpreneur.com%2F2011%2F06%2F02%2Foakley-sunglasses-a-success-story-and-personal-branding-tips%2F
Here is an article about Oakley and Personal Branding. What are your thoughts about the following?
1) Is what you wear a true reflection of your personal brand? How important is that in today's more accepting society?
2) How does new technology contribute to your personal branding?
3) Most Importantly, do you think that Oakley is a good name for a dog?
1) I do think the brands you wear are a reflection of how you want to be branded. That is part of the explination why certain companies can charge a premium price for their products. I do remember that after my husband bought me a beautiful pair of gloves from Coach one year as a gift I was suddenly more aware of my image. To me, gloves (like sunglasses) are easily lost and more easily replaced, however Coach gloves (and the resulting replacement price) elevated my awareness of my hands and the attention they got.
ReplyDeleteAs accepting as society may be- we stil pay some premuim dollars for items!
2) I think technology makes us more aware of the newest products, the prices paid for labels, and with all the pictures of celebreties online- an in your face dose of what you can be doing to imiate them.
3) LOL! Yes, I think it is a cute name.
I love the name....Tyler are you getting a puppy?
Delete-Pam
name him Oakley and use him to model the dog clothes for your business!
DeleteEverything about one's style is a reflection of their personal brand. However, I do not believe one has to spend a ton of money on high end items to have a high end personal brand. In fact when I see someone with a lot of obvious labels then I usually assume they are high maintenance. This perception could be detrimental during an interview even because an employer may make assumption about your salary requirements before even getting to the discussion.
ReplyDeleteBut in general I can tell a lot about a person by the clothes they wear and how put together they are. I believe our clothing choices (regardless of brands) reflect our personalities and our confidence levels. Dressing for success is very important. I have always loved this quote, “dress for the job you want, not the job you have”.
-Pam
1) I agree with Pam and Faith in that your style is definitely part of your personal brand. For instance when you see a lady walking around in a very tight short dress you instantly think she has an evening profession but she might just enjoy showing off her legs! If we were personal brand managers we would certainly advise her, if not intervene, to change her style to match her personal brand. In the personal branding 101 artcile that Matt put up the other day with the equation that your self impression = how people perceive you is the exact point of this Oakley article.
ReplyDelete2) Technology is very important in personal branding with the addition of social media and having a "profile" picture of you at almost every site. People should think about what their current picture is saying about their personal brand. A profile picture on facebook with a drink in your hand could lead one to believe you drink a lot even if you don't. Technology is a huge factor in personal brand and people should make sure to take care of any social media site picture and information that they put out there.
3) to answer the most important question... YES! I really like the name Oakley. I might steal it for my next puppy name!
The way you dress is very important in terms of what others think about you. I don't necessarily agree with Pam though about labels. I think it depends on your audience. For example, if you are interviewing with someone who cares about nice things and therefore spends money on high end labels then you can sometimes benefit from that. But if it happens to be someone who doesn't care about things like that maybe they would think you care too much? And in my mind, dressing for the job you want not the job you have would most likely always mean wearing nice clothing and accessories.
ReplyDeleteThe way you dress is imperative to creating your personal brand. First impressions go a long way and you must make sure that who you want to be is illustrated through your style. Technology helps us establish our brand through various methods. My personal brand no longer hinges on who I say I am, but now people can see who I am and want to be through my Limnked In, Twitter and Facebook page.
ReplyDeleteOakley is the coolest name ever!
If you choose what to wear, then yes, it is a reflection of how you want others to portray you. And, if that thing you wear has been designed to portray a certain image, then it is likely that person deliberately choose that design. If Oakley is to portray an active life style, then people buying their glasses likely want others to see them as being active (as the article says, even if they are not).
ReplyDeleteAs for embracing new technology, it's likely perceived by observers as someone who is forward thinking, that quickly adapts to change, and is smart (because they not only recognized something before others did but also because newer techs tend to give us access to more info, save us time, and make life easier (so, we can in turn, learn more)).
I do think that what you wear is a reflection of your personal brand depending on the circumstances. Being well put together or spending money on nice clothes means that you take pride in yourself and how you look. How you look is important enough that lawyers ask clients to come well dressed for court. Labels are more important in bigger cities where almost all executives dress well. I can tell you that most executives and hiring personal can identify a Brioni tie or a bespoke suit and it makes a huge difference on how you are perceived.
ReplyDelete