Since Pinterest came up a few times in class, I was interested in how it could be used for marketers. This e-book is about 40 pages and worth a look. It's full of examples of how companies have used Pinterest for business:
http://www.marketingsavant.com/landing/downloadpinterestebook/
I did not download the e-book, but I am still wondering how all these social media sites can help improve sales for business. It would seem to me that a business could do just fine by directing traffic to its own website and managing the content on that site.
ReplyDeleteYes and no. I think it really depends on the company and product. A site like pinterest that is really driven by idea sharing sometimes shows me products that I didn't even know exsisted, thus I wouldn't have been able to just Google it.
Delete-Pam Burr
I agree. I've been reading Socialnomics and he focuses at different times on certain drawbacks to search engines such as google - they are going to need to continue to figure out how to predict what people are looking for. Sites like Pinterest show you things you probably would have never seen otherwise.
DeleteI am always interested in how business can approach customers effectively through social media. Today's social media seems lack of ability to help firm to grow revenue. Hopefully it will come some better ideas soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm still not sure about Pinterest for a tech B2B like the company I work for, but I could really see it increasing brand awareness and eventually sales for B2C companies, especially those that target women, who are a core demographic on Pinterest.
ReplyDeleteFor the company I work for, we use social media to increase awareness and also for lead generation and for driving traffic to our site. We don't sell via social media. That said, all of those activities can increase sales in the long-term.
This video shows how other social media has impacted the bottom line for many businesses: http://www.socialnomics.net/2009/11/12/social-media-roi-examples-video/ I think it was assigned or on the blog, I can't recall.
I definitely agree that B2C companies are going to benefit more from social media sites like Pinterest. But i don't think any additional attention would hurt any company (positive of course).
DeleteNice find. Thanks for my next summer reading selection.
ReplyDelete