Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tumblr



The first day of class, someone asked about Tumblr and I have not spent much time on that site, but just came across this article, an interview with the founder, so thought you might be interested.

Here is one example of how Tumblr is used. A recent State of Things story talked about how students at Duke used Tumblr to ask questions about feminism and got responses from around the world.

What do you think? Is Tumblr different from other blogging or story-telling platforms?

2 comments:

  1. I like to see people trying different things and being creative. Tumblr is very brave to do things different from FB and Google. Seeking a better business model to server customers and grow revenue in the same time seems work well for Tumblr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the one who asked about Tumblr the first night because I started to see it on Pinterest quite often. I had heard about it a few times but really had no idea what it was. As far as Tumblr accounts I see pinned on Pinterest, it seems to be a visual version of blogging? I think all of the Tumblr accounts I have looked at have been strictly images, but I'm not sure that is a requirement after reading the article that describes it as mixed media.
    I really like that they strive to have advertising for things/people other than big brands because I agree it is a lot more interesting. It gets old seeing the same advertisements for the same big companies everywhere. Maybe even Kurt/Aaron would enjoy seeing the type of advertising Tumblr says they want to promote???

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.