http://bx.businessweek.com/mobile-marketing/view?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftommartin.typepad.com%2Fpositive_disruption%2F2012%2F05%2Fqr-code-case-study-sears.html%3Futm_source%3DBusinessWeek%26utm_medium%3Daggregator%26utm_campaign%3DSearsPost
Here is a link speaking to the usefulness of QR Codes. When reading this article, what are your thoughts about the following:
1) Do you ever actually scan QR codes and where do you normally see them that draw your attention?
2) Do you think that the problems Sears ran in to were caused by the locations they placed their ads for their QR codes or was it due to the fact that they have so much competition and/or they are not a leading store when compared to purchases from such places as Amazon, Toys-R-Us, etc?
3) Are you more likely to use QR codes or URL when using your smartphone for shopping or visiting particular websites?
Interesting article. The key challenge seems to still be capturing the attention of the consumer/customer.
ReplyDelete1) I have scanned QR codes in magazine articles but had trouble getting it to work. I'm not sure if I'd stop to scan a QR code on a poster though unless there was some great deal offerred.
2) The problem that Sears may have run into is that many consumers are not familiar with QR codes. Perhaps they should have add more instructions around the QR code itself, like "go to this page to download a QR code reader if you don't have one"...
3) I'm much more likely to type in a short URL. Like I said in answer #1, I have found scanning QR codes a little clunky. That said, I'm not a tech person. We use QR codes to market to a developer audience and they seem to be well received in that community.
I have never scanned QR codes. I have in the past used the Amazon bar code app and felt that it was far from perfect. I think that you almost have to offer some sort of discount or coupon to get the QR codes to be effective. I think a shortened URL is a better way to go, because at the very least it can appeal to those who do not want to take a photo or scan of an advertisement. On another note, initially I felt that the Sears Kmart merger/buyout was a great idea. However, poor planning and execution lead to little or no integration of products or stores.
ReplyDeleteThis is just a random note about QR codes...SAS recently added codes to most of the expensive artwork we have displayed in various buildings across campus. I have 5 pieces in the lobby of the building I work in and thought this was an appropriate time to see what they offer.
ReplyDeleteHere is the link to what pops up in my QR app...http://www.sas.com/company/about/culture/pdf/karbler.pdf
This is clearly exposure for the artist but also SAS since these links are off of our website and we of course have our logo at the bottom of the blurb :) Didn't know what y'all thought about this type of marketing?
I think it's interesting and still in it's infancy. Until QR codes are more widely adopted and lead to interesting content, it might be a while before people are interested in scanning them.
ReplyDeleteI agree with exact what you said.
Delete