In response to Aaron's article in class, I found a follow-up that describes in more detail why the CFO was fired for his tweets. It was not tweeting with the babysitter, as someone suggested, but actual financial data in his tweets, that got him fired.
Read more here.
What do you think? Was the company right about this under these circumstances?
I think social media is an innovative way of communication. Many people and companies can be benefit from it. However, it is also a risk if you do not use it properly. How many times we have heard the stories of people get into trouble by saying something wrong on TV. Twitter and other social media are just another platform for you to communicate with public which can be good or bad depends on what you write.
ReplyDeleteBasically you have to watch what you say and everyone wants you to be politically correct and say the right things at all times. If you always have to do that, whether it is in your personal life or professional life, then why say anything at all. I would rather just not get on there and speak my mind or give my opinion because no matter what, someone will be offended somewhere. Good thing I am not in any position of power or I would have probably been fired a long time ago.
ReplyDeleteI would use the front page of the newspaper test before I posted anything about my company on a social media site. Next time Gene Morphis will be asking himself would I want my boss to read this post before he post anything on social media sites. This is unfortunate but that is the direction we are moving.
ReplyDelete