Identity theft and the web...We are all familiar with online identity theft but typically we think about our SSN#s, bank accounts and credit reports but this article really changed my view on identity theft from a personal reputation standpoint. Check it out and let me know your thoughts?
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/the-twitter-attack-that-wasnt/?ref=socialnetworking
-Pamela Burr
Pam, this is a very interesting article. It makes me nervous also with Bank Accounts or any other important personal information people enter online. Thinking about it now how many times I've registered online for something or "saved" a card for Groupon or any other website. Banking security really isn't that advanced if you think about it. All you have to know is the answers to someone's security questions and nine times out of ten its easy answers so the person will remember. Great article!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean. But I never save my card information and when I shop online I always you a credit card vs. a debit card because it is easier to protect your assets. If some one steals your CC# all you have to do is file a claim and the merchant takes all the risks, but if your DC# is stolen then your whole account is at risk and it could take weeks for the bank to return the money to your account.
Delete-Pam Burr
As we discuss in the class, it seems we have exposed too much personal information online. The social media is still in a developing stage. The online security is still a big issue. We should always watch out what information we put out there.
ReplyDeleteChi
Absolutely...It is so scary to think that someone could break into your facebook account or any social media account for that matter and publish information that could be harmful to one's career. It is funny to think that in physical society we are so closed off from one another but online we are a open book.
Delete-Pam Burr
I think part of the problem is that consumers are too trusting. They believe that sites that say they are secure or put a logo stating it is secure, that it is. I, like Jennifer, have saved my information many times, probably in places I have never returned to or don't even remember doing. When setting up our website, we were given the option to purchase a SSL logo stating that all transactions are secure. Just the ability to purchase it shows me that it is simple to do if you are willing to pay for it, but makes me wonder how many other sites just purchase this to ease the mind of their customers, but is it really secure?
ReplyDeleteGood point. I know from my online shopping expereince I prefer paypal because I believe it to be the most secure. In addition it is far better to use a credit card on line vrs. a debit card because with credit the merchant assumes all risks. It is just easier to despute on line credit purchases rather than debit purchases. I may got a little off topic but probably still some good food for thought.
Delete-Pam Burr
This article is interesting because it's not so much about the traditional identity theft to cause financial harm, rather about identity theft that can cause harm to your personal reputation online. This can also be important, especially to celebrities, senior executives or marketing professionals. Arguable, someone posing as you online can at the minimum be an annoyance. If someone hacked into my twitter account, I'd be mildly annoyed as I only post general updates that and it's a public timeline. However, if someone hacked into my facebook account which is connected to close friends and posted something lewd I'd be very upset.
ReplyDeleteOverall, like the comments above by Jennifer, Chia and Tyler, we all need to be more thoughtful about posting our personal information online. Thanks for posting the interesting article, Pam.