Tuesday, May 22, 2012

More Video Interruption During Online Viewings

In class we discussed TV commercials and how viewers are finding ways around them. What if you found out that there might be more video content while you're online? This Article discusses why publishers should increase their video ad load online.

1.      Since the TV model with commercials is all about interruption and capturing the audience’s attention during the break, do you think online viewing will benefit the same?
2.      Will the ads feel more as part of the content as the author of this article is suggesting or will it still feel like TV advertising?
3.      Why do you think publishers are limiting their inventory when increasing ad load could equal increased revenue?

4 comments:

  1. 1. I think it depends on how attractive of the online program. People accept the ad on TV when they are really interested in the program. If online program can be good or even better than TV program, then it will benefit.

    2. I do not watch much online ads. But it seems online marketers still in the stage of developing a suitable business model similar like TV ads. But I also think, online ads should differ from traditional TV ads.

    3. Online ads still in a developing stage, increasing ads load may not match revenue increase. Once the business model become stable like TV ads, then publishers may dare to increase the ads load.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To tell you the truth I think we will see an evolution to tailored advertising to consumers soon with linking of social media and TV. I would also say that TV companies would be better off running one 45 second ad in between breaks in the show. I would argue the attention span would be maximized because people would know they only have one commercial. Hulu has recently moved to 1:30 of 3 separate ads for each break and I watch less commercials than I did and have gone to using sites that have no ads.

    I think with the new ads you can make them much more interactive because people are already online. This will get better with the inclusion of smartTVs and such moving into the market place. TV and radio advertising in my opinion work better than all other advertising save maybe search keyword ads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have all but quit watching regular TV due to commercials. I watch most of my TV from DVR or on-demand. This is mostly due to time, because the commercials are far to frequent, especially during sporting events. As far as video ads online, I try to avoid those as much as possible too, although it is becoming increasingly more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should stop watching sporting events. I did about 25 years ago and it turns out that event results didn't effect my life. It has on the other-hand made small talk more difficult, especially when I've been in sales roles.

      But since I don't like small talk all that much, I usually really enjoy telling someone who tries engaging me about some banal sports event that I don't follow sports. The awkwardness that sometimes follows can be really cool.

      However, recently I've tried watching sports again because I want my 5-year old boy to fit in with other children and take interest in playing something so he will go to bed before 9P.

      But, it is truly shocking watching sports: everything is branded and labeled from the score results to the scenes backgrounds, to the breaks every minute or two. I guess sports people have become so numb to it they can tolerate it. But for me and my 5 year-old we really struggle to stay focused and interested in the sporting event and so far have been unable to watch more than about 15 minutes.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.