This blog is for the online work for the Meredith College MBA class BUS 695.
Friday, May 25, 2012
Infomercials
Infomercials used to be a less-than-desirable way to market (think blenders at midnight) but now, they are a way for companies to get their message out on the web to an even wider audience at a fraction of the cost.
What infomercials have caught your eye?
The one I mentioned in class was for Samaritan's Purse, a nonprofit based in Boone, NC.
You can find their infomercials on YouTube. If the link doesn't work, do a search for them there.
You can see the advantages for a nonprofit to be able to show how donations are being spent--it makes the need real for donors.
What other infomercials have you seen recently that got your attention? I seem to remember Aaron showing us one during spring semester for a razor start-up, but can't remember the name--Aaron, can you post it here?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZUG9qYTJMsI&v=ZUG9qYTJMsI&gl=US
ReplyDeleteYa I think infomercials on the internet are much more powerful because they catch a target audience that is looking for product. Late night tv infomercials also get out product info that otherwise wouldnt reach. I believe tv is a better means for introduction of a product while inet is best for selling a product.
Some infomercials are better than others. I am sure everyone remembers Billy Mays, the Oxy Clean Guy. He was very affective at delivering a message to consumers that made people buy the product.
ReplyDeleteVince Shlomi was also another great pitch man for products. Vince was involved with ShamWow and Slap Chop. I can remember his infomercials vividly.
Unfortunately both guys ran into trouble after they become famous. Search around on YouTube for some great remakes of the Slap Chop infomercial.
The key is to get the message accross and the infomercials provide the platform to do so. Kony 2012 caught my attention; long though. Awareness of the existance of Kony and what he forces the children of Uganda to do is a powerful message; also this infomercial has been a pivotal instrument to start a global social movement.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc
I've not watched the Kony stuff because I've read enough of those types of sickening child soldier stories but I thought the Kony 2012 video was more of a documentary rather than an infomerical?
DeleteI agree, some of those names do stand out and are recognized around the world. That just shows that the information is getting out to the world if they know the men and women on the commercials by name. I also believe that infomercials are more effective on tv. A prime example of that is that there are stations dedicated to only informercials (at least there are on directv). I normally don't watch too many infomercials on either the net or tv but I must say that they do get the message out to me regardless.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the above comments that informercials can be very good for non-profits to show a humanitarian crisis and the need for their work and for donations.
ReplyDeleteFor commercial use, I'm embarrassed to say but I like the snuggie infomercial. That could be because I'm often cold or I just think it's funny. Also, the one I found hilarious and thought was a Saturday Night Live Skit is the one for the 'Shake Weight'.