In an effort to increase revenues, LinkedIn is offering its user generated biographies as a sales tool. Basically for a monthly fee, salesmen can access online profiles for “social selling”. Here is the link
1. Do you consider this the new norm of user generated platforms?
2. Would you be willing to pay a fee to be on a do not call list? If so, how much?
3. How receptive would you be if you received a “social selling” call?
I think this is becoming the norm on most social sites. I don't like it, but I have the option to not involve myself if not. I wouldn't be willing to pay a fee to be off the call list, I would either take myself off the site or just ignore the calls. I wouldn't be receptive at all personally. I get enough calls I ignore already.
ReplyDeleteLike Tyler wrote, I think this is becoming more normal for "social sites". I don't mind if a sales rep emails me a note over linkedin or to my work account, but I really don't like getting calls.
ReplyDeleteI would not be willing to pay a fee for a "do not call" list. Instead, I'd enter a fake phone number or not enter one at all within Linkedin. Of course, it's so easy today to simply use the company name for a target contact and get the phone number from the company website.
I pay for a premium subscription to Linkedin, so that I can get more information on potential marketing partners. I think it's worth it. Many sales reps have the basic membership fee and recently Linkedin downgraded the functionality they offer to free members like not displaying last names. A sales rep can't get past most gate-keepers without a lead's last name these days, so this forces them to potentially upgrade to the Premium level.
I think the key in a social selling call would be targeted audience, so you might just be more interested. Its a different beast because business connections are always going to be a premium and I would rather a company trying to sell me stuff calls or sends mail with a purpose instead of cold calling. Cold calling is a terrible way to do anything. Selling is part of the world and you can't get away from it unless your off the grid.
ReplyDeleteLike anything else, the timing of the sales call/email is key and, of course the vast majority of those calls, will be at the wrong time even if it's the right product/service. So, I would expect that if LinkedIn doesn't get too much push-back (and I don't think they will) that users will modify their profiles and implement email filters to direct unsolicited sales contacts out of their main Inbox so as to deal with them when they are ready.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if this is the new norm since there are so many types of social networks but it does seem like this could be more natural fit for LinkedIn.
A do-not-call list? Could be interesting if it had teeth and if you could specify types not allowed to call. I'd pay for that. I'd be receptive to a social selling if, but only if, the product/service AND timing were right. (So, I guess the real answer is "no.")