Dr Mishra has mentioned this author in class and I went ahead and book the e-book by Brenda Bernstein. I use Linkedin heavily and found it very insightful and plan to update my profile using her suggestions.
Check it out if you can:
http://www.amazon.com/KILLER-LinkedIn-Profile-Mistakes-ebook/dp/B007708HJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337898190&sr=8-1
If you get a chance to read it, what insights do you plan to apply?
1 key insight I hope to apply soon is to change the heading under my name simply from my title to something more descriptive. Ex is the author's heading on Linkedin:
Instead of just having her "name, owner", she has:
Essay & Resume Writer | Executive Resumes | Personal Statements | Linkedin Profiles | Web copy
You can check her profile out here:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/brendabernstein
I think that the way she incorporated SEP principles into her profile is very smart. It is very important to be clear on where you are, have been, and want to go while highlighting what skills make you unique. Good post.
ReplyDeleteMy Linkedin profile could use an overhaul as well. I am still concerned about how much personal information I make available online.
ReplyDeleteI think she has some great ideas and when I get a chance I plan to incorporate some of these ideas to better brand myself. Great article.
ReplyDeleteI am still learning how to improve my profile in linked In. I believe it is important to get some good advises from the exports or professionals,such as how to prepare the resume and interview. I did not know how tricky it can be until I talked to a recruiting professional.
ReplyDeleteYou should change your profile pic to one with you walking out of the ocean with a surf board under your arm.
DeleteI think they should teach things like advice for LinkedIn profiles in undergrad classes now.
ReplyDeleteFor my intro marketing class, the first assignment is for my students to create a self-marketing plan. I tell them that they can't marketing/sell something else until they learn to market themselves. Their plan has to include a cover letter, resume and a linkedin.com profile. This spring, most had never even heard of linkedin.com so it was a good thing that I had them do it, especially if resumes actually do go away in the future! We also had a seminar on how to use LinkedIn one morning at 10 a.m. for all students--is this something you all would like to be invited to next time?!
ReplyDelete