Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Yahoo! Update!

If you want to find something online most likely you will search with Google or bing.  If you want to find out what your friends are up to you will likely use FaceBook or Twitter. But what is Yahoo! up to now that Ross Levinsohn is the interim chief executive? In this article, Reuters' Joseph Menn, discusses the next steps for Yahoo!. His direction is one of entertainment and information rather than technology. 

After reading the article:
  1. do you think Yahoo! will ever get back to what it used to be?
  2. How do you think that is possible? What tools can they use?
  3. Should Yahoo! use the video ads that seem to be the up and coming way to advertise?

6 comments:

  1. 1. Probably not, today’s social media has changed a lot. Yahoo seems a little behind compares with Google and Facebook. However, the direction of Yahoo is heading now seems forcing on Yahoo’s competitive advantages.

    2. If Yahoo wants get back to what it used to be, they need to focus on creating fun things which most people think about them. They need to innovate some new tools in order to lead in the areas they want to compete.

    3. Sure, if the growth rate is more than 50%, I do not see why not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo! is an enigma in my it failed to capitalize and become Google. I mean they had it all prior to Google and fell, I think they need to refocus on something else other than search because I occasionally venture to Yahoo to see what they have on their main page, but would never search for anything on their site. Content might be their only way to go, but they will never be back to what they were.

    They need to become a pop culture search hub and literally just put interesting articles into peoples face, kind of like digg.com.

    I think they need to stay away from video, focus on mobile and focus on geo-tagging. That is where the money is. All banner ads are worthless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yahoo will have to reinvent itsef and find its own niche. They seem kind of lost and need for direction. Even though the CEO has the expertise in media and advertising, creating an entertainment and valuable online content company will required additional resources including reorganizing its workforce and finding the right talent and skills. Commerce is a significant opportunity for growth, however it is now in Alibaba's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I use Yahoo on a daily basis for news and entertainment however I think the search feature on Yahoo sucks. I use Google for search. I must say Yahoo is doing something right when it comes to Fantasy Sports and partnering with other companies like Starbucks. I am not sure Yahoo will every have the hits that Facebook and Google generate, but I do think they have a place on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think yahoo was leading edge, but like many other companies that lead they way, they become very comfortable where they are and get surpassed by new technology and new companies that take it to the next level. I think they could get back to where they were, if they happen to find the next big thing, but that is very difficult to do. I use yahoo quite a bit for sports information and fantasy sports like Matt mentioned but that is about it, besides google search.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think its strange the article didn't mention Yahoo! long-time CEO and founder, Jerry Yang. He is to blame for Yahoo! current situation. Fortunately for Yahoo!, Yang's finally been sidelined but it's search business, in at least the US, is done (in fact it's now powered by Microsoft's Bing). I think content aggregation is their only future and mobile is still a possibility.

    So, no, Yahoo will never get back to were it was because it's moved to far away from what it was.

    I also hate video ads. Fortunately, most of them, like dopey banner ads, are hosted by a URL external to the site so Ad Block Plus will usually strip them out of a page for me. But the idea of taking a performance hit with a video ad is so annoying.

    It's funny, I remember about 10 years ago, Yahoo! tried this before to get into the video space. I think they partnered up with ABC to provide tv-like shows over the net. Since people are more receptive to watching tv on their computer now, maybe it will work for them this time.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.