This blog is for the online work for the Meredith College MBA class BUS 695.
Thursday, May 31, 2012
Mobilizing the sheep that are people on social media
This is an interesting Geo-tagging app and the article to go along with to try and get people to check in more often and give companies more advertising by social media and word of mouth. But it is unfortunately again poorly executed because it doesn't give enough incentive to drive business. I would say it could be very useful if used correctly, but geo-tagging by signing in is something people do or they don't do. I would say giving incentive to do this is just going to get a lot of people checking in without buying anything. You need people to buy stuff for you to be a viable business. Tech bubble part deux here we come!!!!!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Aaron, I agree. Checking-in is something that you do or you don't. I know a lot of people that check-in on Foursquare but I don't see the point. Most places don't offer specials or any incentive to check-in. I recently started using Foursquare and during the last 30 days of using Foursquare and trying to remember to actually check-in, only one venue actually had a sale or something advertised with Foursquare. If checkinsave actually has sales and incentives that would provoke me to purchase items at a business I would be much more inclined to use the geo-tagging type applications.
ReplyDeleteThe title of this post made me laugh out loud! I don't personally check in at places, however I do agree with you both- if the check in would offer me something I value, I would certainly jump on the bandwagon. Don't you think it is odd that companies don't see the value in this yet? How much could a free beverage or 5% off your total bill really cost them? I will stay tuned for part deux :)
ReplyDeleteI have checked in maybe once in my life. I figure most people don't care where I am, as I don't care where they are, unless it directly affects me or my life. Like Facebook, I really could care less what is going on in anyone else's life besides my good friends that tell me in person or over the phone or email. If companies could figure out a way to give you an incentive to check in and also sell something at the same time.
ReplyDeleteCheckinandSave sounds like a failure in the works because the incentives will likely never be big enough to drive groups of people to the same place in order to get ad discount as the creators envisioned.
ReplyDeleteI do think there will be a great future for checkin apps that will eventually go beyond just providing discounts, such as for customer service, waitlists at popular restaurants, or maybe even at hospitals. A FastPass at an amusement park, like Disney. These types of checkins could provide two-way feedback to the end user letting them know real-time status, like how much time is left.