Thursday, May 17, 2012

Favorite Apps


I just got an email from PF Chang's to download their new app. I am not going to clutter my phone with tons of apps, only those I use regularly. And, my family loves PF Chang's, so this is one I will use. The free lettuce wraps don't hurt, either.

What apps are on your phone?

11 comments:

  1. Gasbuddy Pandora and Dropbox, but other than the only thing that didnt come with my phone is Angry Birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pandora?!? Really?...that's one I wouldn't even install because of its intrusive permissions! At least on the Android OS, it wants access to:
      1. Modify and delete my SD card content [why?]
      2. System tools [makes sense...keeps phone from sleeping and changing data connectivity]
      3. Read my phone call status and caller ID. [why?]
      4. my personal information so it can modify my calendar events, send emails to my contacts, and read my contacts' data. [wow!]
      5. It requires that when my phone boots up, it automatically boots up [I don't need it using memory if I'm not using it!?]

      So far I've not heard of companies that are collecting this data through 'free' apps of misusing it but can't we all just assume it's a matter of time?

      Delete
  2. Yes, I love angry birds, too. Never thought I'd enjoy a game, but my kids got me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an Android user with 140 installed apps.

    My top 10 are:
    1. JuiceDefender: a very effective battery saver with a crappy UI (before, my battery lasted about 4 - 6 hours; after, 12+). Some useful widgets too. [$5]
    2. WeatherBug Elite: thorough weather details with GPS support and useful widgets. [$2]
    3. Camera Zoom: nice picture taking app providing plenty of additional controls and filters. [$1]
    4. GO Launcher EX: a nice UI for my phone to make organizing everything easier, comes with helpful widgets. [free]
    5. GO Locker: when I awaken my phone, I unlock it to immediately open 1 of 4 apps: camera, phone, home page, or email. [free]
    6. Traffic: an excellently simple widget that with an address programmed into it, like Meredith College, I tap it and it instantly tells me how long it will take me to get there wherever I am. Uses real-time traffic data and GPS. [free]
    7. AllSportGPS: jogging with mapping. [free]
    8. Flashlight: helps when navigating my bedroom. [free]
    9. NPR News: streaming from any station plus podcasts. [free]
    10. Zillow: makes spying on neighbors easier: home prices, estimates, and changes. [free]

    My biggest gripe with Android is that I can’t find a good Office Suite designed for composing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It occurs to me that none of my favorite apps are at all social. Two are ad supported: Flashlight (miscellaneous crap I never consider because I’m concentrating on avoiding stubbing my toes) and Zillow (real estate agents).

      Delete
  4. I am an android user as well. I too have a toon of apps, but my favorites are as follows:

    1. BeyondPod - I love listenign to podcasts on my commute!
    2. Word with Friends - I'm a junkie
    3. CNN
    4. USA Today
    5. Pandora
    6. Weight Watchers - hey don't judge me!! At least I TRY to eat right..Wednesday through Friday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candance, I could not even get through WW without their app--I hate writing things down, but can just about manage with the app!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many fun apps out there for the iphone. If I had to pick a few favorites, they would be:
    1- Skype - lets you use skype on your iphone
    2 - Netflix - you can watch videos or tv shows or even movies (yes, the screen is small)
    3- Games - Solitaire & Draw Free -- like Charades except you use drawings to give clues on the word
    4- Flixster - I love movies, and this app serves up movie reviews by the average person
    5 - Yelp - you can read restaurant reviews easily and search for places you might like out of town. I read the reviews and often post reviews there too. Another app for foodies I like is FourSquare.
    6- My favorite -- MapQuest for the iphone. It's better than the app pre-installed with the iphone. It also speaks to you and reads out the directions on a turn-by-turn basis. It's free too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like apps that save me time....

    1. Great Clips. Allows me to check in early. No waiting!
    2. Red Box. Allows me to find a movie and reserve it.
    3. Flixster. Allows me to check movie times and trailers quickly and easily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will now be spending the rest of the night updating my apps! I currently have 3 that I use on a regular basis, Facebook, Yahoo Mail, and TeleNav (a GPS system).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot about the Domino's Pizza and Papa John's app. You can never eat too much pizza.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.