Monday, May 14, 2012

PR production tool

This link talks about what Public Relation professionals are using for tools and social media to build brand awareness and authenticity. Its interesting to note that a lot of data mining and analytical analysis are used by PR professionals.

Do you think social media from companies is authentic?

I feel like its a guy in a room playing the PR game over a media form, no more authentic than talking to their toll free number.

Do you think the use of social media is almost over saturated with voices  from PR professionals to the point that it just becomes noise and people ignore it?

How can corporations fight these negative perceptions with the tools provided?

6 comments:

  1. I feel social media devices such as twitter can be very helpful if used correctly. You can gain a lot of knowledge from professionals or experts in your field that in the past you would have to pay to go see at a seminar or have a personal connection with them. I believe that during times such as elections, candidates can use these to get their message out to a larger audience. I only wonder if this will eventually become much like spam where you are getting tons of tweets about things that don't pertain to you or that you don't care about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that companies sounding authentic o er social media is a challenge. That socialmedia.org website makes concrete suggestions to help organizations create a personal and authentic communcations online. One key tip is to set in place a social media guidelines document that all employees are introduced to. Ex- one guidine suggested is that all employees disclose where they work if they are posting a message about their organization.
    And yes, like Tyler and Aaron wrote, the more popular a channel is for marketers, the more noise and diffuculty there is to get there message out;more difficulty getting the info you do want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw-- typed on a smartphone,sorry for typos ;-)

      Delete
  3. It seems some professionals are benefit by using social media. It really increases the way of how to communicate with others. I do not use Twitter at all, but I am getting interested in how that can help with my professions. I have concern about the time you spend and the effeteness.

    Chi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still not sold on companies being authentic through social media. I think a company may strive to be authentic but it is probably impossible to achieve it 100%. Whether you are talking about traditional marketing/PR or digital marketing/PR the vast majority of the messages we see are company created and thus are comprised with some level of manipulation.

    Either way, nice job on picking this article and presenting Aaron!

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with a lot of what has been said above that time will tell whether or not social media is an authentic and useful tool for companies. I think it sometimes depends on what your goal is and also who your audience is. For example (referring to what Tyler said about politicians), a politician is most likely going to have followers who care about every tweet and post that person makes but people who are following a company profile may not care about every bit of media that company puts out. I think social media will have to be continuously monitored and corrected to ensure effectiveness.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.